Excel SORTBY Function
- array - Range or array to sort.
- by_array - Range or array to sort by.
- sort_order - [optional] Sort order. 1 = ascending (default), -1 = descending.
- array/order - [optional] Additional array and sort order pairs.
The Excel SORTBY function sorts the contents of a range or array based on the values from another range or array. The range or array used to sort does not need to appear in results. In the example shown, the formula in E5 is:
=SORTBY(B5:B14,C5:C14,-1) // sort by grades descending
The output in E5:E14 is the list of names sorted by scores in descending order. To sort by grades in ascending order use:
=SORTBY(B5:B14,C5:C14,1) // sort by grades ascending
- All arguments must have compatible dimensions, i.e. array and by_array1 must contain the same number of rows.
- The by_array arguments can only be one row or one column.
- The sort_order argument can only be -1 (descending) or 1 (ascending). If no value is provided, SORTBY will sort in ascending order.