Excel CUMPRINC Function
The Excel CUMPRINC function is a financial function that returns the cumulative principal paid on a loan between a start period and an end period. You can use CUMPRINC to calculate and verify the total principal paid on a loan, or the principal paid between any two payment periods.
Get cumulative principal paid on a loan
The principal amount
=CUMPRINC (rate, nper, pv, start_period, end_period, type)
- rate - The interest rate per period.
- nper - The total number of payments for the loan.
- pv - The present value, or total value of all payments now.
- start_period - First payment in calculation.
- end_period - Last payment in calculation.
- type - When payments are due. 0 = end of period. 1 = beginning of period.
- Be consistent with inputs for rate. For example, for 5-year loan with 4.5% annual interest, enter the rate as 4.5%/12.
- The loan value (pv) must be entered as a positive value.
CUMPRINC formula examples
For this example, we want to calculate cumulative principal payments over the full term of a 5-year loan of $5,000 with an interest rate of 4.5%. To do this, we set up CUMPRINC like this: rate - The interest rate per...