Excel CUMPRINC Function
The Excel CUMPRINC function is a financial function that returns the cumulative principal paid on a loan between a start period and an end period. You can use CUMPRINC to calculate and verify the total principal paid on a loan, or the principal paid between any two payment periods.
Get cumulative principal paid on a loan
The principal amount
=CUMPRINC (rate, nper, pv, start_period, end_period, type)
- rate - The interest rate per period.
- nper - The total number of payments for the loan.
- pv - The present value, or total value of all payments now.
- start_period - First payment in calculation.
- end_period - Last payment in calculation.
- type - When payments are due. 0 = end of period. 1 = beginning of period.
- Be consistent with inputs for rate. For example, for 5-year loan with 4.5% annual interest, enter the rate as 4.5%/12.
- The loan value (pv) must be entered as a positive value.
CUMPRINC formula examples
To calculate the cumulative principal paid between any two loan payments, you can use the CUMPRINC function. In the example shown, we calculate the total principal paid over the full term of the loan by using the first...