Excel CUMIPMT Function
The Excel CUMIPMT function is a financial function that returns the cumulative interest paid on a loan between a start period and an end period. You can use CUMIPMT to calculate and verify the total interest paid on a loan, or the interest paid between any two payment periods.
Get cumulative interest paid on a loan
The interest amount
=CUMIPMT (rate, nper, pv, start_period, end_period, type)
- rate - The interest rate per period.
- nper - The total number of payments for the loan.
- pv - The present value, or total value of all payments now.
- start_period - First payment in calculation.
- end_period - Last payment in calculation.
- type - When payments are due. 0 = end of period. 1 = beginning of period.
- Be consistent with inputs for rate. For example, for 5-year loan with 4.5% annual interest, enter the rate as 4.5%/12.
- The loan value (pv) must be entered as a positive value.
CUMIPMT formula examples
To calculate the cumulative principal paid between any two loan payments, you can use the CUMIPMT function. In the example shown, we calculate the total principal paid over the full term of the loan by using the first...