Excel CUMIPMT Function
The Excel CUMIPMT function is a financial function that returns the cumulative interest paid on a loan between a start period and an end period. You can use CUMIPMT to calculate and verify the total interest paid on a loan, or the interest paid between any two payment periods.
Get cumulative interest paid on a loan
The interest amount
=CUMIPMT (rate, nper, pv, start_period, end_period, type)
- rate - The interest rate per period.
- nper - The total number of payments for the loan.
- pv - The present value, or total value of all payments now.
- start_period - First payment in calculation.
- end_period - Last payment in calculation.
- type - When payments are due. 0 = end of period. 1 = beginning of period.
- Be consistent with inputs for rate. For example, for 5-year loan with 4.5% annual interest, enter the rate as 4.5%/12.
- The loan value (pv) must be entered as a positive value.
CUMIPMT formula examples
For this example, we want to calculate the interest paid during each year in a 5-year loan of $30,000 with an interest rate of 5%. To do this, we set up CUMIPMT like this: rate - The interest rate per period. We...
For this example, we want to calculate cumulative interest over the full term of a 5-year loan of $5,000 with an interest rate of 4.5%. To do this, we set up CUMIPMT like this: rate - The interest rate per period. We...