Excel FLOOR Function
The Excel FLOOR function rounds a given number down to the nearest specified multiple. FLOOR works like the MROUND function, but FLOOR always rounds down.
Round a number down to the nearest specified multiple
A rounded number.
=FLOOR (number, multiple)
- number - The number that should be rounded.
- multiple - The multiple to use when rounding.
- FLOOR works like the MROUND function, but FLOOR always rounds down.
- With a positive number, the value is rounded down toward zero.
- With a negative number, the value is rounded down away from zero.
- The FLOOR function can be a good way to can be a good way to set pricing after currency conversion, discounts, etc.
FLOOR formula examples
If you need to group times into buckets (i.e. group by 2 hours, group by 3 hours, etc.) you can do so with a rounding function called FLOOR. In the example shown, we have a number of transactions, each with a time...
If you need to round a number to the nearest multiple of 5, you can use the MROUND function and supply 5 for number of digits. How this formula works In the example, cell C6 contains this formula: =MROUND(B6,5) The...
To calculate required currency denominations, given a specific amount, you can build a currency calculation table as shown in the example. This solution uses the INT and SUMPRODUCT functions. In the example show, the...
If you need to round a number down to the nearest specified multiple (i.e. round a number down to the nearest dollar, down to the nearest $.25, down to the nearest multiple of 5, etc.) you can use the FLOOR function....
Download 200+ Excel Shortcuts
Thank you very much for this resource. I've been visiting your site here-and-there for over a year now and I want to thank you for all of the valuable knowledge that you and your team have shared. - Neil