Excel FLOOR Function
The Excel FLOOR function rounds a given number down to the nearest specified multiple. FLOOR works like the MROUND function, but FLOOR always rounds down.
Round a number down to the nearest specified multiple
A rounded number.
=FLOOR (number, multiple)
- number - The number that should be rounded.
- multiple - The multiple to use when rounding.
- FLOOR works like the MROUND function, but FLOOR always rounds down.
- With a positive number, the value is rounded down toward zero.
- With a negative number, the value is rounded down away from zero.
- The FLOOR function can be a good way to can be a good way to set pricing after currency conversion, discounts, etc.
FLOOR formula examples
To calculate required currency denominations, given a specific amount, you can build a currency calculation table as shown in the example. This solution uses the INT and SUMPRODUCT functions. In the example show, the...
If you need to group times into buckets (i.e. group by 2 hours, group by 3 hours, etc.) you can do so with a rounding function called FLOOR. In the example shown, we have a number of transactions, each with a time...
If you need to round a number to the nearest multiple of 5, you can use the MROUND function and supply 5 for number of digits. How this formula works In the example, cell C6 contains this formula: =MROUND(B6,5) The...
If you need to round a number down to the nearest specified multiple (i.e. round a number down to the nearest dollar, down to the nearest $.25, down to the nearest multiple of 5, etc.) you can use the FLOOR function....
Download 200+ Excel Shortcuts
There is a lot of excel reference on the web but I liked yours the best so far: very clear, very easy to follow, very practical and visually attractive. Amazingly, that you give away so much for free, but it works in terms that I am your fan now and will be recommending your site at any opportunity I have. -Irena