- number1 - First number or reference in the sample.
- number2 - [optional] Second number or reference.
The STDEV function calculates the standard deviation for a sample set of data. Standard deviation measures how much variance there is in a set of numbers compared to the average (mean) of the numbers. The STDEV function is meant to estimate standard deviation in a sample. If data represents an entire population, use the STDEVP function.
In the example shown, the formula in F7 is:
Standard Deviation functions in Excel
The table below summarizes the standard deviation functions provided by Excel.
|Name||Data set||Text and logicals|
- STDEV calculates standard deviation using the "n-1" method.
- STDEV assumes data is a sample only. When data represents an entire population, use STDEVP or STDEV.P.
- Numbers are supplied as arguments. They can be supplied as actual numbers, ranges, arrays, or references that contain numbers.
- STDEV ignores text and logical values that occur in references, but evaluates text and logicals hardcoded as function arguments.
- To evaluate logical values and/or text in the calculation, use the STDEVA function.