- reference - [optional] A valid Excel reference.
The SHEETS function returns the total number of sheets in a given reference. SHEETS takes one argument, reference, which should be a cell reference, or a 3D reference. When no references are supplied SHEETS returns the total number of sheets in the workbook. The SHEETS function includes hidden sheets.
For example, in a workbook that contains 5 sheets, the following formula will return 5:
SHEETS can be used to report the sheet count in 3D references as well. For example, in a workbook with three sheets (Sheet1 through Sheet3) in numeric order, the formulas below return results as shown:
=SHEETS(Sheet1:Sheet1!A1) // returns 1 =SHEETS(Sheet1:Sheet2!A1) // returns 2 =SHEETS(Sheet1:Sheet3!A1) // returns 3
- If the reference is omitted, SHEETS returns the total sheets in a workbook.
- SHEETS includes hidden sheets in the count.
- SHEETS will report sheet count in 3D references.
- The SHEET function returns the index of a sheet. SHEETS returns a count.